The very first time I sat down to record an episode for The Lifeaholic Podcast was in February 2016. Imagine that. I prepared and finished all the work and recorded a six minute episode, but I never set it up and published it. I’m amazed at how I stalled at this for more than four years. I put it on the backburner and continued with life.
Well, here it is now and here I am. I choose to dwell on the fact that I’m back better, stronger and wiser and hopefully for good!
On the podcast today, we talked about taking ownership of your life. What does it mean to take ownership of your life? It’s to acknowledge that as far as you are an adult with the capacity to think and process, then you have the power of agency and you are responsible for your life.
You need to start acknowledging the fact that wherever you are today, you played a role in getting yourself there. Now, I know that many of us may have certainly been in situations that put us in the wrong place at the wrong time and may have had unfortunate and even traumatic things happen to us. I mean, this is life, we’ve all had our fair share. But you need to accept that in spite of what happened or did not happen to you to get you to where you are right now, you cooperated in some way.
This is because while we may not have caused the things that happened to us, we chose a certain response to whatever happened. This is not always easy to accept, but it is actually the beginning of our deliverance.
- It’s important to take ownership of your life because by doing that, you take your power with it.
- Whoever takes the responsibility has the power. If you believe that it’s not your fault, it’s the country, it’s your background, it’s the recession, well, you have relegated the power to any of these people of things to direct your life. You’ll keep playing the reaction card or even worse the victim card. You’ll keep waiting for things to happen or you’ll be looking for who to blame and.
- Now, I’m a Christian, a committed follower of Jesus, and to be honest, I used to hide under the belief that everything that happens to me is what God wants to happen. I will start a business if God wants, I will do this if God wants. What I didn’t realise for a long time is that even though God has a plan for me, I have to deliberately and actively let Him in and even then, the Holy Spirit is my helper, He doesn’t do everything for me.
- We can take our place as humans that have been created in the image of God, with free will and the power of agency and we get in the driver’s seat. Then we listen and work with the Holy Spirit as we go along.
- So, owning our life means acknowledging that we made the decisions that brought us here and we have the ability to make the decisions that take us where we need to go in different areas of our lives.
To get a little more depth about this topic and other ones that will help you be your best self and live your best life, please, join me on The Lifeaholic Podcast. Can’t wait to catch up with you there!